Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Big Fun Coming This Summer!

Wahoo!  Who is looking forward to having some fun times in Cub Scouting this summer?  (Everybody jump up and down and yell, "Me!  Me!  Oh, pick me!"  while raising your hand high into the air and waving it about.)

We are in for some really fun times this year!  We'll kick off those good times by going to a new day camp a little earlier in the year.  We will be going to day camp on June 3 & 4.  Now, before you go into a panic, let me explain.  The Great Salt Lake Council is sponsoring a day camp in Tooele County at the Benson Grist Mill on June 3 & 4.  I know most of you will still be in school at that time.  That's alright!  We will be going to day camp in the afternoon.  So on Friday, June 3, we will need to be at the grist mill by 3:30 in the afternoon.  (Since Friday is early day for our schools, I figured this would work out fine.)  The camp will go until 9:00 PM that night.  (Yes, I know that is late.)  The next morning we will need to be back out to the grist mill by 8:30 (yes A.M.), but we will be done with camp by 2:30 that afternoon.

For those of you parents who are wondering why we are going to this camp instead of one of the camps we usually attend, let me explain.  There were a lot of factors contributing to my day camp dates selection this year.  It is always a struggle to find dates when all of our boys will be in town during the one month that they are all out of school, July.  I almost always have boys who can't attend the day camp (that the pack already paid for) because of a family vacation or they forgot about camp and went to stay with a relative for a week or something like that.  By choosing a camp that is during the school year, I am hoping to avoid that problem.  I am also hoping to make your summer less stressful as well as my own by not having to squeeze one more thing into an already too short summer.  (I honestly don't know how you manage to survive with such a short summer.  My hat goes off to all of you!)  I also chose this camp because I thought it might be fun to try something new.  It is my understanding that they will be able to do things at this camp that you can't do at a regular day camp because we will have evening hours, too.  I am under the impression that there might be a campfire and some star gazing in the evening.  (Don't quote me on that, because I don't know it for certain, but it was the impression I got.)  I thought it might be nice to go to a camp that is a little closer this year, too.  It will only take us 15-20 minutes to get there instead of 30.  The other two reasons I chose this camp are purely selfish and I hope you will forgive me for them.  First is that I have been asked to take the 11-year-old Scouts to Camp Tracey this year because none of their Scout leaders are going to be able to go.  We are still trying to find a spot for them at that camp and secure dates.  If our pack goes to day camp in June, I will not have to work around our day camp schedule to fit in three days of 11-year-old camp.  The final reason is that I have been going to the camps up in Mill Creek Canyon for ten years now.  I love them.  They are fantastic camps, but I have been so many times that I could run them in my sleep.  I know the rotation schedule for each of the camps.  I know every rock, tree, and speck of dust (and there are a lot of them) personally.  I know which port-a-potties are always disgusting and which ones are usually safe to use.  I need a break from Mill Creek Canyon for just one year.  I just thought it would be nice to have a change of scenery.  We'll try this camp this year.  If it is great we will include it in our camp rotation.  If it is not so good, we won't go there again.  Anyway, I'm excited and I hope you will be too.

The next big event we will be having in the summer is our June pack meeting.  We are going to "Wheel into Summer"  with a bicycle rodeo!  There will be fun things for the whole family to do!  That will be on June 21 at the pavilion at the stake center.

In July, we are going to have a splashing good time.  We will have a regatta, a water gun shooting range, water balloons, and all kinds of fun in the water.  That will take place on July 26 also at the pavilion.

In August for our pack meeting we are going to wind up our summer activities with a campfire activity.  Right now it is scheduled for August 23 at the pavilion.  We are looking for a more "campy" type of place to hold it.  It would be really fun to get into the mountains and have a real campfire or maybe even a family camp out.  So, for now, plan on the 23rd at the church, but be prepared for that to change a little.  We will have tons of fun no matter the location.  There will be campfire stories, skits, games, and yummy food!

Also sometime in the summer, we'd like to take a hike.  We don't know the specifics on this yet, but as soon as we do, you'll be the first to know.  So for those of you who like to stay informed here's the Cub Scouting summer in the nut house a nut shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment